company_name = Sophos
company_type = Private
location = Abingdon,
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA
Steve Munford, CEO
num_employees = 1200+
Sophos Anti-Virus Sophos PureMessage
Sophos Client Firewall
Sophos SMB Security Suite
Sophos Network Access Control
homepage = [http://www.sophos.com/ www.sophos.com]
Sophos is a developer and vendor of security software and hardware, including anti-virus,
anti-spyware, anti-spamand Network Access Controlfor desktops, servers, email systems and other network gateways.
SophosLabs is the company's global network of threat analysis centers.
1985by Dr. Peter Lammerand Dr. Jan Hruska, Sophos is a privately-owned company and is co-headquartered in Abingdon, UK and Burlington, Massachusetts, USA. The company has subsidiaries and branch offices in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singaporeand Spain. The company employs approximately 1,200 staff worldwide.
Unlike other security companies, Sophos does not produce anti-virus and anti-spam solutions for home users, but instead has always focused on the business market.
Steve Munfordwas named CEO of Sophos, and Hruska and Lammer announced they would remain as co-founders and members of the board of directors. Munford was the president of ActiveStateprior to its acquisition by Sophos in 2003, and from 2003 to 2005 was president of Sophos's North American operations. In 2005, he became chief operating officer, responsible for the day-to-day running of the company and its senior management team. Munford holds a Bachelor's degreein economicsfrom the University of Western Ontario, and an MBAfrom Queen's University.
In 2007, Sophos acquired ENDFORCE, a company based in
Ohio, USAwhich develops and sells security policy compliance and Network Access Control(NAC) software.
In 2008, Sophos announced its intent to acquire Utimaco Safeware AG. [ [http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2008/07/utimaco.html Sophos to launch €217 million offer for shares in Utimaco Safeware AG] ]
From September 2003 to February 2006, Sophos served as the parent company of
ActiveState, a developer of programming tools for dynamic programming languages. In February 2006, ActiveState became an independent company when it was sold to Vancouver-based venture capitalistfirm Pender Financial.
Sophos's anti-virus engine and identities are now packaged into Webroot
Spy Sweeperwith Anti-Virus.
SophosLabs specialists analysed the global spread of spam messages. As a part of the Sophos global spam monitoring network the company's spam filters, installed in different companies, were able to catch spam messages. Thus SophosLabs experts were able to discover that during the third quarter of 2007 the USA was at the top of the list among 12 spam-countries. The United States registered 28.4% of global spam. The second came
South Korea, with 5.2% of global spam. [ [http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/most-of-spam-comes-from-the-usa-says-sophoslabs.html Most Spam comes from the USA, says SophosLabs] ]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/mobile/index.html Sophos Mobile Security]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html Sophos Anti-Rootkit]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/windows/scf.html Sophos Client Firewall]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-and-control/microsoft-exchange/index.html Sophos PureMessage for Windows/Exchange]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-and-control/notes-domino/index.html Sophos PureMessage for Notes/Domino]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-and-control/unix/index.html Sophos PureMessage for UNIX]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-and-control/ Sophos Email Appliances (ES1000 and ES4000)]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-and-control/integration/index.html Sophos SAV Interface]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/web/security-and-control/ Sophos Web Appliance (WS1000)]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/nac/sophos-nac/ Sophos Network Access Control]
* [http://www.sophos.com/products/small-business/ Sophos Small Business Solutions]
* [http://www.sophos.com/ Official website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.