- Stratford Point Light
caption = Stratford Point Lighthouse
location = Stratford,
coordinates = coord|41.1517|N|73.1033|W|type:landmark_region:US|name=Stratford Point Light|display=inline,title
yearbuilt = 1822
yearlit = 1881
automated = 1970
Cast Ironwith Bricklining
shape = Conical
height = convert|35|ft|m|abbr=on
lens = Third order
characteristic = white flashes every 20 s
Stratford Point Light is a historic
lighthousein Stratford, Connecticut, United States, at the mouth of the Housatonic River. The second tower was one of the first prefabricated cylindrical lighthouses in the country and remains active.
It sits on a four-acre tract at the southeastern tip of Stratford Point.
The first Stratford Point Lighthouse was built in 1822. In 1855 a fifth order lens was added to the convert|28|ft|m|sing=on wooden tower. In 1881, the tower and dwelling were razed and replaced with a convert|35|ft|m|sing=on tall, brick lined cast-iron tower and equipped with a third order
Fresnel lens. The light was automated in 1970 with a modern beacon. It is an active aid to navigation and is used for Coast Guard housing.
The lighthouse was listed on the
National Register of Historic Placeson June 29, 1990.
# "Lights & Legends, A Historical Guide to Lighthouses of Long Island Sound, Fishers Island Sound, and Block Island Sound", Harlan Hamilton, Westcott Publishing Company, 1987.
# "Northeast Lights: Lighthouses and Lightships, Rhode Island to Cape Mary, New Jersey", Robert G. Bachand, Sea Sports Publications, 1989.
# "Lighthouses of Southern New England: Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, A Pictorial Guide", Courtney Thompson, CatNap Publications, 2002.
* [http://lighthouse.cc/stratford/ lighthouse.cc: Stratford Point Light]
* [http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=793 lighthousefriends.com: Inventory of Historic Light Stations]
* [http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/stratpt.htm NPS.gov: Stratford Point, CT]
* [http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.1517+-73.1033+(Stratford%20Point%20Lighthouse)&t=h&hl=en&ll=41.1517,-73.1033&spn=0.0228,0.048709&t=h Location on Google Maps]
* [http://www.lordshiphistory.com/StratfordPointwebpage.html Stratford Point Lighthouse]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.