Dempo Mining Corporation Limited is a prominent mining company from the western Indian state of Goa thanks to Mr. M.M.P. deSouza (one of the founders of the mining industry in Goa). This company was built from Souza Mineralia Pvt. Company . The Mineral Business was Founded by Shri Vasantrao Dempo in 1941 along with his younger brother Shri Vaikuntrao Dempo. Shri Vasudeva V. Dempo was the second chairman of the company. Dempo Sports Club is linked to Dempo mining company. Dempo company has interests in many fields and the umbrella company is known as V.S.Dempo &Co.
Holding of Dempo House
Dempo recently has divested its mining assets and has entered many businesses The following are the companies which or fully or partially owned by the House of Dempo:
- This Dempo Group company, established in 1988 as a joint venture with Glaxo, manufactures cereal based food products including baby foods. Hindustan Foods, manufactures high quality Cereal based food products, for all age groups. The range encompasses Baby Foods, Instant Porridges, Breakfast Cereals and Health Drinks.
- Sensing the tourism potential of Goa, the Dempo Travel Agency was established in 1960 as a Travel Division of the flagship V.S.Dempo & Company Pvt. Ltd and has been one of the mainstays of Goan Tourism industry. In 2000-01, a new company, Dempo Travels Pvt Ltd. was formed to handle this business independently.
Dempo Industries Newspaper publishing
- The two main divisions under this company are the Newspaper Publishing division under the aegis of Navhind Papers and Publications and the Energy division. Apart from writers of national repute, it features the most respected writers of Goa such as Nandkumar Kamat, Tomazinho Cardozo and Mario Cabral e Sa. To cater to the needs of the Marathi speaking population ”Navprabha” was launched in 1970.
Dempo Ship Building
- There exist two group companies in this business, Dempo Shipbuilding and Engineering Pvt. Ltd. and Dempo Shipyard Pvt. Ltd. Another facility, on the banks of river Zuari, in the name of Dempo Shipyard Pvt Ltd has been added in recent years, to take advantage of the growing business in this industry. This company has already built a number of barges and has several orders in hand. The higher draft of the Zuari River allows bigger barges to be constructed in this facility.
- Manufacturer and marketer of Calcined Petroleum Coke, this Dempo Group company is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Goa Carbon is the second largest manufacturer of Calcined Petroleum Coke in the country. Calcined Petroleum coke is a pure form of carbon and is used for making anodes for Aluminium smelting. It is also used as a source of carbon in the steel industry. Other specialty consumer segments include titanium dioxide and other chemicals. Goa Carbon was established in 1976. It has manufacturing facilities in Goa, Paradeep and Bilaspur. Total capacity is 240,000 MT per annum. 
Aparant Iron and Steel
- This Dempo group company manufactures pig iron. Plans to add further value to the product are on the anvil. Based on Tata Korf technology, this mini blast furnace based plant has a capacity of 160,000 TPA.
- Indian company stubs
- Mining companies of India
- Companies listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange
- Companies based in Goa
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.