- Klebsiella pneumoniae
color = lightgrey
name = "Klebsiella pneumoniae"
image_width = 240px
image_caption = "K. pneumoniae" on a MacConkey
regnum = Bacteria
ordo = Enterobacteriales
genus = "
species = "K. pneumoniae"
binomial = "Klebsiella pneumoniae"
binomial_authority = (Schroeter 1886)
"Klebsiella pneumoniae" is a
Gram-negative, non- motile, encapsulated, lactosefermenting, facultative anaerobic, rod shaped bacteriumfound in the normal flora of the mouth, skin, and intestines.cite book | author = Ryan KJ; Ray CG (editors) | title = Sherris Medical Microbiology | edition = 4th ed. | publisher = McGraw Hill | year = 2004 | id = ISBN 0838585299 ] It is clinically the most important member of the " Klebsiella" genusof Enterobacteriaceae; it is closely related to "K. oxytoca" from which it is distinguished by being indole-negative and by its ability to grow on both melezitoseand 3-hydroxybutyrate. It naturally occurs in the soil and about 30% of strains can fix nitrogen in anaerobic condition.cite book|author=Postgate J|year=1998|title=Nitrogen fixation, 3rd ed.|publisher=Cambridge University Press] As a free-living diazotroph, its nitrogen fixation system has been much studied.
New antibiotic resistant strains of "K. pneumoniae" are appearing, and it is increasingly found as a
nosocomial infection. [ [http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_groopman/?currentPage=all] ]
The Danish scientist
Hans Christian Gram(1853–1938), developed the technique now known as Gram stainingin 1884 to discriminate between "K. pneumoniae" and " Streptococcus pneumoniae".
"Klebsiella" was named after the German bacteriologist
Multiply resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae have been killed in vivo via intraperitoneal, intravenous or intranasal of phages in laboratory tests. [ [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1882608?dopt=Abstract] ]
* [http://medinfo.ufl.edu/year2/mmid/bms5300/bugs/klebpne.html Diseases, symptoms, diagnosis of "K. pneumoniae"] (University of Florida)
* [http://www.bacteriamuseum.org/species/Kpneumoniae.shtml Virtual museum of bacteria page on "K. pneumoniae"]
* [http://respiratory-lung.health-cares.net/pneumonia-complications.php What're the complications of pneumonia?] (health-cares.net)
* [http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1237.htm Klebsiella Infection] (emedicine.com)
* [http://www.genomesonline.org/search.cgi?colcol=all&goldstamp=ALL&gen_type=ALL&org_name1=genus&gensp=Klebsiella&org_domain=ALL&org_status=ALL&size2=ALL&org_size=Kb&gen_gc=ALL&phylogeny2=ALL&gen_institution=ALL&gen_funding=ALL&gen_data=ALL&cont=ALL&gen_country=ALL&gen_pheno=ALL&gen_eco=ALL&gen_disease=ALL&gen_relevance=ALL&gen_avail=ALL&selection=submit+search Klebsiella Genome Projects] from [http://www.genomesonline.org Genomes OnLine Database]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.