Heavy machine gun
General Dynamics/Joint Services Small Arms Program
weight= 52 lb. (19kg)
length= 61.42 in. (1,560 mm)
width= 9.84 in. (250 mm)
height= 7 in. (180 mm), 18 in. (46 mm) adjustable tripod
cartridge= 12.7 × 99 mm NATO/
action= "Recoil-reducing action" (modified rotating bolt)
rate= 260 rpm (4.3 Hz)
max_range= lethal and suppressive to 2000 meters
sights= Open, optics may be mounted.
The XM312 is a modern
heavy machine gunderived from the XM30725 mm autocannonand chambered for the 12.7 × 99 mm NATO (.50 BMG) cartridge. It was designed in response to a request by the US military for a replacement for the aging M2HB heavy machine gun, and as a complement to the heavier XM307. It is quickly capable of being converted to an XM307 with a small number of parts and a few minutes of work at the unit level (and vice versa from the XM307) [http://rodgers.smartvideochannel.com/media/playvideo.aspx?f=flash7&cid=241C97BA634C4EA38522E63059B39D9B&v=mostviewed] . Procurement of the XM312 will allow easier use of the XM307, as only the related kits would have to be adopted. [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m312.htm M312 .50-Caliber (12.7mm) Machine Gun - Global Security] ] Three years ago field testing began with the XM312, but the test results were not encouraging because of the very low rate of fire of only 260 rounds per minute, so it initially seemed unlikely the XM312 would have ever entered service with the U.S. Military. [http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/20078112819.asp] [http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htproc/articles/20080119.aspx] . However, on May 20th 2008, Jane's Information Groupreported that the US Army has awarded GDATP (General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products) a 9 million dollar contract to develop a lightweight 0.50-calibre machine gun called the " LW50MG" to replace the Browning M2, starting deployment in 2012. [ [http://idr.janes.com/public/idr/index.shtml "US Army contracts GDATP to develop new machine gun" - Jane's International Defence Review, May 20th 2008] ] . But the Army gave up on that project as well and instead will buy new M2s and MK-19s to replace the current ones that are wearing out. [http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20080915.aspx]
** 40 pounds (20 kg) max. (weapon only).cite web|url=http://www.gdatp.com/products/PDFs/XM312.pdf|title=XM312 .50 caliber(12.7mm) machine gun - GDATP Fact Sheet]
** 40 pounds (20 kg) max. (ground mount system).
* Dimensions: 9.9W x 7.2H x 61.5L max. inches (25.1 mm x 18.3 mm x 1562 mm) (52.5L, 1334 mm) charged).
* Portability: Man portable or
* Stability: Up to 18 inch (460 mm) tripod height.
* Operation: Currently a hybrid gas &
recoiloperating group. Gas powers the bolt mechanism while recoil drives the barrel/barrel extension and the feed system. Design changes are underway to eliminate the gas system totally to provide increased reliability and reduced complexity.
* Environmental: Operationally insensitive to conditions.
* Reliability: 6,000 MRBF (threshold) / 10,000 MRBF (objective).
* Rate of fire:
** 260 shots per minute (4.3 Hz)(cyclic). [cite web|url=http://www.gdatp.com/products/Gun_Systems/XM37K50/XM307K50.htm|title=XM312 .50-Caliber (12.7mm) Machine Gun - GDATP]
** 40 shots per minute (0.7 Hz) (sustained, without barrel change). In Burst of 5 to 7 rounds, the same as the M2HB.
* Dispersion: Less than 1.1 miliradian, one sigma radius.
* Range: Lethal and suppressive out to 2,000 meters.
.50 BMGM33 ball, M8, M20 & Mk211API, M903 SLAP.
* Recoil: 300 foot-pounds (407 J) (similar to the 7.62 mm
* Feed system: Weapon-mountable
ammunitioncan or feed from any can using bellmouth attachment. M9 rear stripping link - common with current M2 ammunition. Left hand feed, right hand eject of cases and links.
September 2005- The XM312 is test fired by troops from the 1st Infantry Division at the Grafenwöhr Training Area in Germany. [ [http://www.eucom.mil/english/FullStory.asp?art=725 Soldiers test new weapons at Grafenwöhr - EUCOM] ]
* [http://www.gdatp.com/products/Gun_Systems/XM37K50/XM307K50.htm .50-Caliber (12.7mm) Machine Gun - GDATP]
* [http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg39-e.htm General Dynamics 12.7mm / .50 XM312 Machinegun (USA) - Modern Firearms]
* [http://www.deagel.com/pandora/xm312_de00358001.aspx XM312 - Deagel]
* [https://peosoldier.army.mil/program.asp?id=97 XM312 - PEO Soldier]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.