- Konami '88
title = Konami '88
release = 1988
genre = Sports
modes = 1-4 player versus
cpu = KONAMI (@ 3 MHz)
sound = Sound CPU:
Z80@ 3.579545 MHz
YM2151@ 3.579545 MHz, (2x) UPD7759 @ 640 kHz
display = Horizontal, 304 x 224 pixels, 60 Hz refresh rate, 2048 colors
input = 3 buttons
"Konami '88" (also known as 88 Games" or "Hyper Sports Special""') is the third in the "Track & Field" game series by
Konami, where you test your Olympic skills against other world-class athletes. As the name implies, it is loosely based on (and not licensed by) the 1988 Summer Olympicsin Seoul, South Korea. Bronze or silver medals are not good enough - you have to go for the gold to get to the next event. However, you must at least qualify in each event in order to compete in the next event:
* 100m Dash : Race against the other athletes as well as the clock. This is just a warm-up compared to the events to come.
* Long Jump : Player dashes to the line, leaps, and propels his body as far as he is able. The player controls the speed and angle of the jump.
* 400m Relay (Qualifying Heat): Speed and timing are crucial in this event. Player must coordinate the baton hand-off perfectly for the best qualifying time.
* Skeet Shooting : Player can aim left and right at the clay pigeons and must prove that he is a sure shot. A chance for bonus points is given for excellent marksmanship.
* 110m Hurdles : Player sprints down the track, timing his jumps perfectly to clear all of the hurdles and reach the finish line in time.
* Archery : This is a trial of the player's proficiency in using a bow and arrow. The player can decide the direction and force of the wind, which will help in demonstrating his skill as a sharpshooter.
* Javelin : The player darts to the line and throws the javelin with all his might. The player controls the height of the javelin.
* High Jump : Another test of speed and strength as the player runs to the line and hurls his body over the bar. The player can control his angle above the bar.
* 400m Relay - The Final Race : The final test of physical training as the player faces the challenging relay again.
Games in the series
*1. "Track & Field" (1983)
Hyper Sports" (1984)
*3. Konami '88 (1988)
Track & Field II" (1988)
Hyper Athlete" (1996)
Nagano Winter Olympics '98" (1998)
International Track & Field 2000" (2000)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.