- Teo Antonio
Teo Antonio (1946- ) is a very important Filipino poet. He was born in
Sampaloc, Manila. He was educated at the University of Santo Tomaswhere he studied Fine Arts. Antonio is the son of Emilio Mar Antonio, "hari ng balagtasan" (King of Balagtasan--a Filipino form of poetic joust) during the 1950s.
Antonio garnered numerous Carlos
PalancaMemorial Awards for Poetry in 1973. 1975, 1976. 1986 and 1998. He also received top prizes during the "Centennial Literary Contest" for his epic poem "Piping-Dilat" in 1998 as well as "National Book Awards" from the "Manila Critics' Circle" in 1982, 1991 and 1992. He also received a grant as Philippine Representative to the "World Poetry Reading" Summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysiain 1996.
Antonio received numerous other distinguished honors including the "SEA Write Award" from the "King of Thailand" in
Bangkok(1995), "Gawad Patnubay sa Kalinga para sa larangan ng panitikan" from the City of Manila(1996), "Dangal ng Lipi para sa sining at panulat" from the Philippine Province of Bulacan(1997) and "Gawad Alagad ni Balagtas" (Lifetime Achievement Award) from the "Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas" (UMPIL)/"Writers Union of the Philippines" (2002).
Previously, Antonio was UMPIL director and President of the "Unyon ng mga Tagasalin sa Pilipinas" (UNTAP). Together with poets
Virgilio Almarioand Mike Bigornia, he co-founded "Galian sa Arte at Tula" (GAT), a writers' group. [http://www.upd.edu.ph/~uppress/1998.html The University of the Philippines Press] ; [http://webservice.mnl.ust.edu.ph/publishinghouse/search.asp?sr=links&pubtype=title The University of Santo Tomas Publishing House] ; [http://ateneopress.org/default.asp The Ateneo de Manila University Press] and [http://www.anvilpublishing.com/ Anvil Publishing] have published Antonio's ten books. Antonio remains active in poetry jousts and readings across the Philippines as well as in selected international literary events.
* [http://www.panitikan.com.ph/authors/tantonio.htm Online Resource for Filipino Writers and readers]
* [http://www.upd.edu.ph/~uppress/awards.html University of the Philippines Press]
* [http://www.geocities.com/icasocot/reyes_1972.html Philippine Literature Since 1972: A Discourse in Disorder by Soledad Reyes]
* [http://www.hawaii.edu/cseas/balag.doc Balagtasan: The Tradition of Debating in Verse by Ruth Elynia S. Mabanglo University of Hawaii]
* [http://library.ust.edu.ph/books.htm University of Santo Tomas Library]
* [http://www.panitikan.com.ph/organizations.htm Filipino Writers' Organizations]
* [http://www.members.tripod.com/likhaan_online/bigornia.htm Bigornia writes 30]
* [http://www.hawaii.edu/cps/seminar-almario.jpgBalagtasan as a Socio-Political Medium at the University of Hawaii at Manoa]
* [http://www.ncca.gov.ph/about_cultarts/comarticles.php?artcl_Id=145 The Country's Literary Produce for 2000 by Bienvenido Lumbera]
* [http://www.ateneopress.org/award.asp Ateneo de Manila University Press]
* [http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:wnIk3DPtNskJ:www.nolledo.com/new_page_1.htm+teo+antonio&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=54 But for Nolledo by Alfred Yuson]
* [http://www.webmanila.com/philippines/literature/news.html Philippine Literature News]
* [http://www.inq7.net/opi/2003/dec/21/opi_rjdavid-1.htm 25 years if Jollibee]
* [http://www.inq7.net/lif/2004/mar/08/lif_6-1.htm 25 busy-as-a-bee years of a love feast by Ophelia A. Dimalanta]
* [http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/ht/ht004636.htm COLUMN: OFF TO BRUNEI, BUT NOT AS 'BRUNEI BEAUTY' by Max Soliven]
* [http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2006/jan/16/yehey/life/20060116lif1.html National Arts Month takes to the grassroots by Rome Jorge]
* [http://ateneopress.org/detail_lang.asp?ID=67 Taga sa Bato by To Antonio]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.