- Michael O'Hare
Michael O'Hare Born Robert Michael O'Hare, Jr.
May 6, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Spouse Ruth O'Hare
Michael O'Hare was born in Chicago, Illinois. He attended Harvard University (where he majored in English literature) and studied at the prestigious Juilliard School of Drama, as well as with Sanford Meisner.
Michael O'Hare appeared in a number of theatrical productions in the New York area, including the role of Col. Jessup in the original stage version of A Few Good Men (the role played by Jack Nicholson in the film version).
He was the first white actor nominated by the black theater community of New York for the AUDELCO Award for the Best Actor for his performance in the play "Shades of Brown" which examined the effects of apartheid in South Africa.
In 1992, he was cast in the lead role of Commander Jeffrey Sinclair in the science fiction television series Babylon 5. O'Hare remained with the series for one full season; both he and series producer J. Michael Straczynski said the decision for the character to depart was mutual and amicable. O'Hare subsequently reprised the character in season two as well as in a two-episode guest appearance in season three, enabling the show to complete the character arc.
On July 12, 2011, Straczynski posted on his Facebook Fanpage “Fans of J. Michael Straczynski” the results of a search for Michael O'Hare's whereabouts he initiated days earlier by stating "Michael's situation has been determined, and he's still among the living, which is the good news, but the things that concerned me enough to begin the search have been borne out. I realize that that's a "what the hell?" kind of statement, but that's all I can say about it for the time being. That said, everyone can stand down now that we've reached this point. My thanks to everyone who helped with this process." It is not known if this statement reflects health issues or others. Responses on the page were generally of well-wishes and concern for O'Hare, being respectful of his privacy.
- ^ IMDB bio
- ^ Straczynski, J. Michael (May 1994), "About Michael O'Hare's Departure", The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5, http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/misc/sinclair-leave.html, "As a result of these discussions, it has been agreed that we will have a separation, in the role of the commander. Let me emphasize this very clearly, so there is no chance of miscommunication: this is a mutual, amicable, and friendly separation. This isn't a Tasha Yar situation. Moreover, we will be handling this in such a way that, down the road, Sinclair could potentially return to the story. The character of Sinclair will achieve an important destiny, and the mystery of the Battle of the Line will be explained, both in the first episode of the new season. His story will still track. And the series will still track precisely as planned. I take pains to mention this because both Michael and I want it clear that we both believe in the show, and want this in no way to interfere with the series. He has asked me to convey for him his encouragement, his best wishes, and to emphasize that this is, again, an amicable and friendly separation."
- ^ Original GEnie post Message 560 by Straczynski on Fri May 20, 1994
- ^ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-J-Michael-Straczynski/139652459402959
- ^ Straczynski, J. Michael (12), "Fans of J. Michael Straczynski", Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=227207023980835&id=139652459402959, "Michael's situation has been determined, and he's still among the living, which is the good news, but the things that concerned me enough to begin the search have been borne out. I realize that that's a "what the hell?" kind of statement, but that's all I can say about it for the time being. That said, everyone can stand down now that we've reached this point. My thanks to everyone who helped with this process."
- ^ Original Facebook post Message by Straczynski on Tue July 12, 2011
Babylon 5 Creation Series Main characters Species Ships
- Black Star
- EarthForce One
- Explorer class starship
- Frazi heavy fighter
- G'Quan class heavy cruiser
- Hyperion class heavy cruiser
- Nial class heavy fighter
- Nova class dreadnought
- Olympus class corvette
- Omega class destroyer
- Primus class battlecruiser
- Sentri medium fighter
- Shadow Planet Killer
- Shadow battlecrab
- Sharlin Class Warcruiser
- Sun Hawk class gunship
- T'Loth class cruiser
- Valen class cruiser
- Victory class destroyer
- Warlock class destroyer
- White Star
- Zephyr 109 light fighter
Wars Locations Organizations Miscellanea
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.