- Faculties of Medicines in Hong Kong
Before the handover of
Hong Kongto the People's Republic of Chinain 1997, medical educationin this former British colony traditionally and exclusively followed the path of western medicine. Faculties of Medicine were modelled after those in the United Kingdom, and only doctors trained in western medicine were considered "formal" and "reliable." Chinese medicine practitioners had no formal status at that time. However, after the return of the territory to China, the practice of traditional Chinese medicinewas legalized and schools of Chinese Medicine were set up within some of the government funded tertiary institutions in Hong Kong. The first school of its kind, the School of Chinese Medicine at Hong Kong Baptist University, was established in 1998. Currently, there are two faculties with academic programmes in western medicine and three schools of Chinese Medicine in the city.
There are two schools that teach Western Medicine in Hong Kong, namely, the
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicineat the University of Hong Kongand the Faculty of Medicineat the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The medium of instruction is English.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
There are three public, government funded schools of Traditional Chinese Medicine /
Pharmacyin Hong Kong, including the School of Chinese Medicine of Hong Kong Baptist University, the School of Chinese Medicine at the University of Hong Kong, and the School of Chinese Medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS). Programme Information: List of Programmes by Programme Codes. 7 Dec. 2006.
Higher education in Hong Kong
Medical education in Hong Kong
* [http://www.hku.hk/facmed/index.html Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, the University of Hong Kong]
* [http://www.med.cuhk.edu.hk/v6/ Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong]
* [http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~scm/index/chi/index_1.html School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University]
* [http://www3.hku.hk/chinmed/2005/Chinese/index.php School of Chinese Medicine, the University of Hong Kong]
* [http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/scm/ School of Chinese Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.