- 2006 Champ Car World Series season
The 2006 Champ Car World Series season was the twenty-eighth
Champ Car World Series, however only its third season under the Champ Cartitle. It began on April 9, 2006and ended on November 12after 14 races.
Drivers and Teams
Points are awarded based on each driver's resulting place:
* Mario Domínguez was docked 7 points for causing an avoidable crash in Milwaukee
* Paul Tracy was docked 7 points for causing an avoidable crash in San Jose
* Paul Tracy was once again docked 3 point for causing an avoidable crash in Denver
* Top result per race counts towards the nations cup
* Mexico were penalized 7 points as a result of a penalty applied to Mario Domínguez in Milwaukee
Rumours and speculation
Paul Tracyhas signed a 5 year deal with Forsythe Championship Racingthat will take him through to the 2011 season, when he will be 43 years old. This squashes any rumours of a possible move to NASCAR next season.
Justin Wilsonwas injured in qualifying for the Surfer's Paradise round, breaking the Scaphoid bonein his right wrist. He didn't race in the event. Adam Carrollis on stand-by to replace him in Mexico City [http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55496] .
* At the time of the
West Edmonton Mall Grand Prix of Edmonton, it was confirmed the Grand Prix of Ansanwould not be held again this year.
* Rumours flying around in
Houstonare that a merger between Champ Car& IRL to form a single open-wheel racing series will be announced later in the month at the Indy 500. Nothing has been confirmed as yet but the rumours have been fuelled by Kevin Kalkhoven(Co-Owner of Champ Car) visiting Indianapolisto view practice for the Indy 500 and Tony George(Owner of IRL & the Indianapolis Motor Speedwayvisiting Houston on Saturday to view Champ Car qualifying and the ALMSrace.
Mario Domínguezwas penalized 7 points for causing avoidable contact in the race at the Milwaukee Mile. [http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10355]
* The first all-American Champ Car
Panoz DP01is launched on the weekend of the San Jose Grand Prix. Every team in the Champ Car World Serieswill be using the chassisnext year.
* In San Jose, it was announced that Atlantic Series team
Gelles Racingwould run a two-car operation in next years Champ Car World Series.
Paul Tracywas penalized 7 points and fined an undisclosed amount for causing avoidable contact and bringing the sport into disrepute for his part in the accident and shoving match with Alex Tagliani. He was also placed on probation for 3 races (Denver, Montreal & Road America). Tagliani was also fined an undisclosed amount.
Cristiano Da Mattais in a medically induced coma after a testing accident at Road Americabetween San Jose & Denver in which he hit a deer on track. As a result, RuSPORTwill only run the car of Justin Wilsonfor the Denver round.
Paul Tracywas penalised 3 points and fined US$25,000 for causing avoidable contact for his part in the accident with Sébastien Bourdais. His probation was also extended to include Surfer's Paradise. Bourdais was not assessed a penalty.
* [http://www.champcarworldseries.com 2006 season at champcarworldseries.com]
* [http://www.champcaratlantic.com 2006 season at champcaratlantic.com]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.