- Pijiguiti Massacre
The nationalist movement in
Cape Verdeappeared less fervent than in Portugal's other African holdings. Therefore, when the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC) was founded in 1956by Amílcar Cabraland other pan-africanists, it would remain quiet for 3 years, organizing and gaining support under its nonviolent banner.
The PAIGC launched its first major activity by instigating a dock-workers
strikefor better salaries at the PijiguitiDocks in the Port of Bissau, Guinea, on August 3 1959. The colonial police ( P.I.D.E.) suppressed the strike, opening fire on the striking workers, killing over 50 people. The authorities blamed the PAIGC of fomenting discontent among the workers, and the party's supporters had to rethink long range strategies for achieving their goals. In September 1959 Cabral and several PAIGC members met in Bissau and decided nonviolent protest in the city would not bring about change. They concluded that the only hope for achieving independence was through armed struggle. This was the initial point in a 13 year (1961-1974) armed struggle in Portuguese Guineathat pitted 10,000 Soviet bloc-supported PAIGC soldiers against 35,000 Portuguese and African troops, and would eventually lead to independence in Cape Verde and all of Portuguese Africa after the Carnation Revolutioncoup of 1974 in Lisbon.
* Luís Cabral: [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dlvii-antologia-36-o.html Crónica da Libertação] (Lisboa: O Jornal. 1984. 65-73) - excerpts, commented by A. Marques Lopes
* Mário Dias: [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dlxxiii-pidjiguiti.html Pidjiguiti: comentando a versão do Luís Cabral] — commentaries and historical corrections to Luís Cabral's "Crónica da Libertação"
* [http://avenidadaliberdade.org/index.php?content=422 Efemérides — Pidjiguiti, violenta repressão em Bissau] — extracts of a text by Josep Sanchez Cervelló, in "Guerra Colonial" — Aniceto Afonso, Matos Gomes
* Mário Dias: [http://guineidade.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/973005.html Os acontecimentos de Pindjiguit em 1959] ( [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dxxxv-pidjiguiti-3-de-agosto.html republished] , with commentaries by Luís Graça). 21 February 2006
* [http://historiaguine.com.sapo.pt/GuinePidjiguiti.html Guerra na Guiné - Os Leões Negros: 1959 - Pidjiguiti]
* Leopoldo Amado: [http://guineidade.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/972987.html Simbologia de Pindjiguiti na óptica libertária da Guiné-Bissau] ( [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dlxxv-simbologia-de.html Part I] , [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dlxxxvi-simbologia-de.html Part II] , [http://blogueforanada.blogspot.com/2006/02/guin-6374-dlxxxviii-simbologia-de.html Part III] ) February 2005
Portuguese Colonial War
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.