ADVISE (Analysis, Dissemination, Visualization, Insight, and Semantic Enhancement) is a research and development program within the
United States Department of Homeland SecurityThreat and Vulnerability Testing and Assessment (TVTA) portfolio. It is reported to be a massive data miningsystem [http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070308-124323-4382r.htm] with the ability to store one quadrillion data entities. The data can be everything from financial records, phone records, emails, blog entries, website searches, and any other electronic information that can be put into a computer system. This information then would be connected to any given American citizen and assess the probability that he or she is a terrorist.
The exact scope and degree of completion of the program is unclear. ADVISE is in the 2004-2006 Federal DHS Budget as a component of the $47 million TVTA program.
The program was officially scrapped in September 2007 after the agency's internal
Inspector Generalfound that pilot testing of the system had been performed using data on real people without required privacysafeguards in place.
Information Awareness Office
NSA warrantless surveillance controversy
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency(DARPA)
*TALON (Threat and Local Observation Notice)
* [http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=ADVISE SourceWatch article on ADVISE]
* [http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0209/p01s02-uspo.html US plans massive data sweep] , February 9, 2006 article by Mark Clayton in the Christian Science Monitor
* [http://csmr.ca.sandia.gov/~tgkolda/pubs/DSW2004_LoRes.pdf Data Sciences Technology for Homeland Security Information Management and Knowledge Discovery] , report of the Department of Homeland Security Workshop on Data Sciences conducted September 22-23, 2004, released in January 2005 by Sandia National Laboratories and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. See pages 7-8.
* [http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/publications/gss2005/gss2005_5484.pdf Information to Insight in a Counterterrorism Context] , report on ADVISE prepared for the US Department of Energy by Robert Burleson of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory at the University of California
* [http://www.aaas.org/spp/rd/DHS%20S&T%20FY06budget%20AAAS_final%20public.pdf Threat & Vulnerability, Testing & Assessment - $47M] , page 23 of Fiscal Year 2006 Budget Brief for the Department of Homeland Security Science & Technology Directory, by Parney Albright, March 1, 2005
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.