- Ram Chandra Shukla
"This article is about the Indian Artist Ram Chandra Shukla"
Ram Chandra Shukla is an Indian painter and art critic. He resides in
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India, where he continues his art work. Ram Chandra Shukla was born in a farmer's [http://ramchandrashukla.4t.com/photo6.html family] in a small village called Shukulpura of district Basti, Uttar Pradesh, in the year 1925. Soon after that his father shifted to a prominent, cultural city, Allahabadin Uttar Pradesh, where he grew up. He graduated from the Allahabad Universityand studied painting under a renowned Indian Painter of the Bengal School named Kshitindra Nath Majumdar. Thereafter, he joined Banaras Hindu Universityas a teacher of art in the department of Painting. He retired as a Professor and the Head of Department of Painting of Banaras Hindu University in the year 1985. Subsequently, he shifted to his native place, Allahabadand started his studio there. He is an artist but he does not try to sell his paintings. He simply wants to go in the depth of art itself and work as a spiritual painter, enjoying the bliss of art. He is known for his experiment with brush and colors. He developed various indigenous style of painting of which most important are Kashi Shailee, Samikshavad and Intuitive Paintings.
Kashi Shailee Paintings
As a disciple of the famous Indian artist of the Bengal School, Shri K.N.Maujmdar, Prof. R.C.Shukla used to paint in water color wash technique which was prevalent at that time. Thereafter, he began to take interest in the Folk Paintings of India, particularly Benaras Folk Art and Miniature Paintings of India. It was during that period that he with other drawing students developed a new school of Indian contemporary painting called Kashi Shailee which was based on Folk Art of Benaras and Miniature Paintings of India.
Prof. R.C.Shukla painted many forms and styles of paintings, but he was in search of an indigenous style of modern painting in India, which he developed during his stay in Benaras Hindu University in the year 1974, called as Samikshavad. This style is now well known in India. By this style, the artist tends to expose the corruption prevalent in the society and politics, with a language that is symbolic and satirical.
Prof. R.C.Shukla's latest experiment(year 2005) has taken different turn and he now calls his recent paintings as Intuitive paintings which expresses his inner spiritual feelings and inner experiences. These paintings have been made with colored markers and sketch pens which are a new medium in the field of Indian Paintings. They are small size paintings and can be called Modern Miniature Paintings.
Books written by Prof.Ram Chandra Shukla
1.Rekhawali (In Hindi Language)Publisher-Kala Prakashan,
2.Kala Aur Aadhunik Pravityan (Art and Modern Trends)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Hindi Samiti, Govt. of
Uttar Pradesh, India,II Edition 1963.
3. Naveen Bhartiya Kala Shikshan Padhatti.(Modern Indian Methods of Art Teaching)(In Hindi Language),Publisher- Kitab Mahal,
Allahabad, India, 1958.
4. Chitrakala ka Rasaswadan (Appreciation of Painting)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Hindi Pracharak Pusakalaya,
Varanasi, India, 1962.
5. Kala Ka Darshan (Philosophy of Art)(In Hindi Language),Publisher- Karona art Publisher,
6. Kala Prasang (Great References of Art)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Karona Art Publisher,
7. Aadhunik Kala-Samikshavad (Modern Art and Indian Movement of Art
Samikshavad)(In Hindi Language),Publisher- Kala Prakashan, Allahabad, India, 1994.
8. Aadhunik Chitrakala (Modern Painting)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Sahitya Sangam,
Allahabad, India, 2006.
9. Paschhimi Aadhunik Chitrakar(Mordern Western Painters)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Sahitya Sangam,
Allahabad, India, 2006.
10. Shilp-Lok (World of Creation)(In Hindi Language), Publisher- Kitab Ghar,
Patna, India, 1953.
Researches on the "Personality and work of Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla", in various Universities
Uttar Pradeshki Samkalin Kala mein Samikshavadaur Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla" (Samikshavad and Prof.Ram Chandra Shukla in contemporary Art of Utter Pradesh)(In Hindi Language)- Doctoral Desertation by Anju Kanaujia, CSJM University, Kanpur, India, 2001
2. "Prof Ram Chandra Shukla - Vyaktitva evam Krititva" (Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla - Personality and Paintings)(In Hindi Language) - Desertation by I.C.Gupta,
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, 1998.
3. "Prasiddha Chitrakar, Lekhak, Samikshak ki Kalatmak Jeevan Yatra - Prof Ram Chandra Shukla" (The Artistic Life journey of a famous Artist Writer and Critic - Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla)(In Hindi Language) - Desertation by Gargi Upadhyay, [http://www.ddugu.edu.in/main.html DDU Gorakhpur University] ,
Gorakhpur, India, 2006.
4. "Kala Bhushan Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla : Krititva Aur Vyaktitva - Ek Samikshatmak Addhyan" ( Kala Bhushan Prof. Ram Chandra Shukla : Personality and work - A critical Study)(In Hindi Language) - Doctoral Desertaion by Rakesh Kumar Singh, [http://www.ccsuniversity.org/ CCS University] ,
Meerut, India, 2001.
5. "Samikshavad Ka Vaicharik, Tatvik avum Samajik Addhayan Professor Ram Chandra Shukla Ki Kala Ke Sandarbha Mein" (Thoughtful,Materialistic and Socialistic Study of Samikshavad in context of art of Prof.Ram Chandra Shukla)(In Hindi Language)- Doctoral Desertation by Kanchan Sinha,
1. Samkalin Bhartiya Kala(Comtemporary Indian Art)(In Hindi Language) by [http://www.gallery-worldwide.com/cmAuthor.jsp?id=2274&view=AUTH.html Ram Viranjan] , publisher Nirmal Book Agency, Kurukshetra,
2. Banaras ki Chitrakala(Paintings of Banaras)(In Hindi Language) by Dr. H.N.Misra, publisher Kala Prakashan,
Varanasi, India, 2002.
3. Bharatiya Chitrakala - Parampara aur Aadhunikta ka Antradwand (Indian Paintings - Conflict of Tradition and Modernity)(In Hindi Language) by Dr. S.B.L. Saxena and Dr. Anand Lakhtakiya, publisher Saran Prakashan, Bareili,
4. Allahabad ke Chitrakar (Painters of Allahabad)(In Hindi Language) by
Laxmikant Verma, publisher Allahabad Sangrahalaya, Allahabad, India, 2000.
5. Chitrakala Mein Naya Andolan Samikshavad (A New Movement In Painting :Samikhavad ) (In Hindi Language)by Anurag Chaturvedi,Dharmyug 22 feb 1981.
6.Bharatma kala Andolan Samikshavad (Indian Art Movement Samikhavad)(In Hindi Language) By Surendraraj Bhattarai,Kalakkriti Kathmandu Nepal.
7. Artists must look beyond politics, '
Hindustan Times', New Delhi, 16-1-79.
8. Paintings with purpose, '
Evening News', Delhi, 19-1-79.
9. Bid to point social criticism, '
Hindustan Times', New Delhi, 22-1-79.
Varanasi( Samikshavad) Cultural News From INDIA, New Delhi, Volume XX, Number 3, 1979.
AllahabadIdea of Art, Northern India Patrika, Allahabad, 25, 3, 1987.
Awards and Fellowship
Fellowship [http://www.fineartakademiup.org.in/fellow.htm State Lalit Kala Akademi] , U.P.; Kala Bhushan, Hindi Sansthan, U.P.; Joe Fregonard, France; Veteran Artist, AIFACS, New Delhi.
* [http://ramchandrashukl.googlepages.com Google Page for Ram Chandra Shukla]
* [http://ramchandrashukla.4t.com Ram Chandra Shukla]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.