- Iglesia ni Cristo
The main accusation of restraint of press freedom arises from the church's seeking of
prior restrainton Ross Tipon's book, "The Power and the Glory: The Cult of Manalo") for alleged gross inaccuracies,Echeminada, Perseus. [http://jesus-messiah.com/philippines/inc/philstar.html 'Iglesia seeks TRO vs publication of 'blasphemous' book'] , " The Philippine Star" (Manila: May 24, 2005)] Robles, JoJo. [http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=jojoRobles_may25_2005 'INC against free press?'] , "Manila Standard Today Online" (May 25, 2005). Retrieved July 3, 2005.] Critics claim that the INC is stifling free speech by banning an unpublished book, and Tipon claims infringement on his free speech rights. An attorneyrepresenting the INC, Abraham Espejo states "The publication of the criminal manuscript will trigger social unrest, Millions of people may come out in the streets and this may lead to violence." The Iglesia ni Cristo alleges that the book has defamed its organization and Félix Manalo. The INC seeks PHP1,000,000 in damages from Tipon and the unknown publisher.
The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism(PCIJ) describes the INC as a shrewd political and business operator that parlays the votes of its members for political and financial concessions to the church. [http://www.pcij.org/stories/2002/inc2.html Iglesia ni Cristo, The Most Powerful Union] ] In 2004, President Arroyo dismissed rumors that she paid off the INC to support her candidacy. In an open letter to the INC which was read in all INC chapels across the country, Mrs. Arroyo said "I would never taint their (INC) sincerity by offering money for it".Villanueva, Marichu "GMA:Opposition behing Iglesia 'Pay-Off Rumors" Manila Star(Manila, May 31, 2004)]
In September 1972, INC members shot at and killed three Marines who were part of a contingent sent by Marcos to shut down the church's
Controversies surrounding INC members
On March 8, 1992, around twelve members of the Iglesia ni Cristo were angered about losing an altercation during a basketball game against some college students from the nearby Polytechnic University of the Philippines. They physically assaulted the other team which fueled the conflict. A brawl took place afterwards where two of the INC members were badly mauled. In revenge, the INC members, with the help of a local policeman who was also member of the INC, kidnapped eight students but later released the three after threatening them not to tell anyone. The remaining five students were immediately brought inside the chapel of Iglesia ni Cristo in Sta. Mesa, Manila where they were tortured to the point of death. According to court documents, the victims were mauled, tortured and beaten by their captors, who were deacons of the INC, as well as by their cohorts, using steel tubes, lead pipes, guns and other blunt instruments, inside the basement of the church. A witness saw one of the perpetrators bringing a blow torch inside the basement where the victims were kept while hearing cries for mercy. Three days later, or on 10 March 1992, the victims’ decomposing bodies were found floating on the Pasig River. Postmortem examinations on the cadavers showed that one of the victims sustained lacerated wounds, contusions, ligature marks and hematoma and died from a gunshot wound on the head. Another victim had his genitals cut off. Most of the victims' death were caused by "asphyxia by strangulation; hemorrhage, intracranial, traumatic with skull fracture” and/or “asphyxia by drowning”, indicating that some of the victims were still alive when they were thrown into the river. Although eye witnesses told police that around a dozen members of the INC participated in the kidnapping of the victims, only four of them, including the policeman, were arrested and eventually convicted for the murders. The four were given life sentences. [ [http://www.supremecourt.gov.ph/jurisprudence/2000/aug2000/127803.htm Filipino Supreme Court ruling.] ]
In October 2007, members of the Iglesia ni Cristo in
Tondo, Manilaassaulted three preachers of the Pentecostal Missionary Church of Christ (PMCC) after a religious debate. [ [http://philstar.com/index.php?p=60&type=2&sec=24&act=view&aid=20071001161 Philippine's Iglesia Ni Cristo members beat up Pentecostal preachers] , "The Philippine Star", (Oct. 2, 2007)]
Religion in the Philippines
Fundamental Beliefs of the Iglesia ni Cristo
Conflicts between Iglesia ni Cristo and Members Church of God International
* [http://www.uniquebiblestudy.com/ Unique bible study] A bible study containing some typical INC doctrines in the same question and answer format used by its ministers. There seems to be no explicit reference to the Iglesia ni Cristo on this website.
* [http://www.geocities.com/truthfinder_inc/ Truthfinder's INC Page] Site by INC member: INC profile, basic teachings, history etc.
* [http://www.taestensen.com/robert/fft_doc/2f_main.htm Food for the Soul] Poetry and reprints of God's Message articles
* [GEM-TV] Global Exansion Media Television - Broadcasting religious programs as well as news and entertainment 24/7. Channel 2068 on Direct TV. See also
* [http://www.net-25.com Net-25 ] - Official Web presence of the Television Network NET 25. TV Programs, both of religious and secular subject matter are streamed.
* [http://www.examineiglesianicristo.com Examine Iglesia Ni Cristo] - Evangelical critique of INC based on Pasugo texts
* [http://www.letusreason.org/igleidir.htm LetUsReason.org: Iglesia Ni Cristo] - Articles about INC and their beliefs
* [http://www.apts.edu/jam/01-1/a-harper.pdf The Iglesia ni Cristo and evangelical Christianity] - article by Anne C. Harper. Her description:"The purpose of this paper is to explore the INC's view of Evangelicals and to consider whether
[evangelicals] need to reassess [their]apologetic and evangelistic approach to this group"." (PDF reader required, [http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:7lD2sOzg2RAJ:www.apts.edu/jam/01-1/a-harper.pdf HTML version via Google] )
* [http://iglesiaexposed.i8.com/ Iglesia ni Cristo in a nutshell - Doctrines exposed] - Postings by Cultic Research, made in 2002/2003 on an unmoderated forum about all aspects of INC.
* [http://www.dk777.com/incinanutshell.pdf Iglesia ni Cristo in a nutshell - Revised 2007 PDF] - 2007 PDF Revision of Cultic Research's INC in a nutshell doctrine examination of the fundamental beliefs and teachings of the INC
* [http://incworld.faithweb.com/ INCWorld at FaithWeb.com] - An unofficial website featuring articles critiquing the INC.
* [http://www.truthcaster.com Truthcaster] - A 24/7 broadband channel dedicated to live and interactive webcasts of
Eliseo Soriano, to which the discussions include exposing the alleged non-biblical doctrines of Iglesia ni Cristo
* [http://www.catholic.com/library/Iglesia_Ni_Cristo.asp Catholic Answers article about Iglesia ni Cristo]
* [http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1990/9002fea1.asp Into the Maw of the Cult] - Karl Keating's review of his debate with the Iglesia ni Cristo
* [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2953664829520280607 Video of debate between INC minister Jose Ventilacion and Catholic apologist Karl Keating part 1]
* [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1936905102193057313 Video of debate between INC minister Jose Ventilacion and Catholic apologist Karl Keating part 2]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.