name = ATLAS Transformation Language
INRIA Free software community
latest_release_version = 2.0.0
latest_release_date = release date|2008|06|25
status = Active
Eclipse Public License
website = http://www.eclipse.org/m2m/atl
ATL (ATLAS Transformation Language) is a model transformation language and toolkit developed by the ATLAS Group (INRIA & LINA).In the field of Model-Driven Engineering (MDE), ATL provides ways to produce a set of target models from a set of source models.
Released under the terms of the
Eclipse Public License, ATL is an M2M (Eclipse)component, inside of the Eclipse Modeling Project(EMP).
ATL is the ATLAS INRIA & LINA research group answer to the OMG MOF/QVT RFP. It is a model transformation language specified both as a metamodel and as a textual concrete syntax. It is a hybrid of declarative and imperative. The preferred style of transformation writing is declarative, which means simple mappings can be expressed simply. However, imperative constructs are provided so that some mappings too complex to be declaratively handled can still be specified. An ATL transformation program is composed of rules that define how source model elements are matched and navigated to create and initialize the elements of the target models.
A model-transformation-oriented virtual machine has been defined and implemented to provide execution support for ATL while maintaining a certain level of flexibility. As a matter of fact, ATL becomes executable simply because a specific transformation from its metamodel to the virtual machine bytecode exists. Extending ATL is therefore mainly a matter of specifying the new language features execution semantics in terms of simple instructions: basic actions on models (elements creations and properties assignments).
Model Driven Engineering(MDE)
Domain Specific Language(DSL)
Model Transformation Language(MTL)
* Eclipse [http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/ GMT Project]
* MOF Queries/Views/Transformations (QVT)
* Metamodeling technique
Object-oriented analysis and design(OOAD)
List of UML tools
Object Constraint Language(OCL)
Glossary of Unified Modeling Language terms
*"The MDA Manifesto" [http://www.bptrends.com/publicationfiles/05-04%20COL%20IBM%20Manifesto%20-%20Frankel%20-3.pdf available from the MDA Journal]
*"Model Driven Architecture: Applying MDA to Enterprise Computing",
David S. Frankel, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-31920-1, [http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471319201/ book]
*"On the Architectural Alignment of ATL and QVT.
Frederic Jouault, Ivan Kurtevin: Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 06), Model Transformation Track, Dijon, Bourgogne, France, (April 2006), [http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/bibliography/SAC06a pdf paper] .
* [http://www.omg.org/mda/mda_files/Model-Driven_Architecture.pdf "Model-Driven Architecture - Vision, Standards And Emerging Technologies"] (PDF) from
Object Management Group
* [http://www.omg.org/docs/omg/03-06-01.pdf "MDA Guide Version 1.0.1"] (PDF) from Object Management Group
* [http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/3100.html "An Introduction to Model Driven Architecture"] from "The Rational Edge", Feb. 2004 (IBM developerWorks eZine), first article in a series of three
* Bézivin, J: "From Object Composition to Model Transformation with the MDA". In: TOOLS-USA'01. Webpublished [http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/info/lrsg/Recherche/mda/TOOLS.USA.pdf .pdf]
* Bohlen, M: "QVT and multi metamodel transformation in MDA". Webpublished [http://galaxy.andromda.org/jira/secure/attachment/10780/QVT+article+mbohlen+2006.pdf .pdf (en)] , [http://galaxy.andromda.org/jira/secure/attachment/10744/bohlen_OS_02_06_k4.pdf (ger)]
* Wagelaar, D: "MDE Case Study: Using Model Transformations for UML and DSLs". Webpublished [http://ssel.vub.ac.be/Members/DennisWagelaar/docs/uml1cs-pres.pdf .pdf]
* Czarnecki, K, and Helsen, S : "Classification of Model Transformation Approaches." In: Proceedings of the OOPSLA'03 Workshop on the Generative Techniques in the Context Of Model-Driven Architecture. Anaheim (CA, USA). Webpublished [http://www.swen.uwaterloo.ca/~kczarnec/ECE750T7/czarnecki_helsen.pdf .pdf]
* ModelBaset.net. "MDA Tools". [http://www.modelbased.net/mda_tools.html Website]
* SoftwareMag.com. "MDA Tools". Webpublished [http://www.softwaremag.com/L.cfm?Doc=2005-04/2005-04 .html]
ATL: Atlas model transformation language
* Eclipse/M2M newsgroup: "ATL discussion group".
* Jouault, F and Kurtev, I :"On the Architectural Alignment of ATL and QVT". In: Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 06), Model Transformation Track. Dijon (Bourgogne, FRA), April 2006. Webpublished [http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/bibliography/SAC06a .pdf]
* Eclipse : "M2M/ATL is part of the new Top Level Modeling Project" [http://www.eclipse.org/m2m/atl/]
UMT: UML model transformation tool
* Gronmo, R, and Oldevik, J : "An Empirical Study of the UML Model Transformation Tool (UMT)". In: INTEROP-ESA'05, Feb. 2005. Webpublished [http://interop-esa05.unige.ch/INTEROP/Proceedings/IndustrialPresentations/Gronmo.pdf .pdf]
Related model-driven development approaches
* Voelter, M: "Model Driven Software Development". Webpublished [http://www.voelter.de/data/articles/cgn.pdf .pdf]
* Portal site "MDA and Model Transformation": [http://www.model-transformation.org/ site access]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.