- Francis Aidan Gasquet
cardinal name=Francis Gasquet
Francis Aidan Gasquet,
O.S.B.( 5 October, 1846at Somers Town, England – 5 April 1929 in Rome) was an English Benedictine monkand historical scholar.
Downside School, he entered the Benedictines in 1865 at Belmont Priory. He moved to Downside Abbeywhere he was professed and, on December 19, 1871, ordained a priest. From 1878 to 1885 he was prior of Downside Abbey, resigning because of ill health.
Upon his recovery he became a member of the Pontifical Commission to study the validity of the Anglican ordinations (1896) leading to "
Apostolicae Curae", to which his historical contribution was major. In 1890, he became abbot president of the English Benedictines. He was President of the Pontifical Commission for Revision of the Vulgate, 1907. He also authored the major history of the Venerable English Collegeat Rome.
He was created Cardinal-deacon in 1914 with the title San Giorgio in Velabro. His title was changed to San Maria in Portico in 1915.
In 1917, he was appointed Archivist of the
Vatican Secret Archives. In 1924, he was appointed Librarian of the Vatican Libraryand elevated to Cardinal Priest of San Maria in Portico.
* "Henry VIII and the English Monasteries." 1899.
* "The eve of the Reformation; studies in the religious life and thought of the English people in the period preceding the rejection of the Roman jurisdiction by Henry VIII." 1900
* "English Monastic Life." 1904
* "The Last Abbot of
Glastonburyand Other Essays",1908
*Leslie, Shane. "Cardinal Gasquet, A Memoir." London: Burns, Oates, 1953.
*Knowles, David. "Cardinal Gasquet As an Historian." London: Univ. of London: Athlone Press, 1957.
*Jacob, E. F.,
Lewis Bernstein Namier, Theodore Frank Thomas Plucknett, Hugh Hale Bellot, W. K. Hancock, David Knowles, and John Goronwy Edwards. "The Creighton Lectures, 1951-57." London: University of London, Athlone Press, 1952.
* [http://www.ccel.org/php/disp.php3?a=schaff&b=encyc04&p=433 Schaff-Herzog entry]
* [http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bgasquet.html Catholic Hierarch Entry]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.