- Axiomatic design
Axiomatic design is a
systems design methodologyusing matrix methodsto systematically analyze the transformation of customer needs into functional requirements, design parameters, and process variables. The method gets its name from its use of design principles or design Axioms(i.e., given without proof) governing the analysis and decision making processin developing high quality product or system designs. Axiomatic design is considered to be a design method that addresses fundamental issues in Taguchi methods.
The methodology was developed by Dr.
Suh Nam Pyoat MIT, Department of Mechanical Engineering. A series of academic conferences have been held to present current developments of the methodology. The most recent International Conference on Axiomatic Design (ICAD) was held June 13-16, 2006 in Florence, Italy
Dependency Structure Matrix(DSM)
New product development(NPD)
Design for Six Sigma
Axiomatic product development lifecycle(APDL)
*Suh, "Complexity: Theory and Applications", Oxford University Press, 2005, ISBN 0-19-517876-9
*Suh, "Axiomatic Design: Advances and Applications", Oxford University Press, 2001, ISBN 0-19-513466-4
*Suh, "The Principles of Design", Oxford University Press, 1990, ISBN 0-19-504345-6
*El-Haik, "Axiomatic Quality", Wiley, 2005, ISBN 0-471-68273-X
*Stamatis, "Six Sigma and Beyond: Design for Six Sigma, Volume VI", CRC Press, 2002, ISBN 1-57444-315-1
A discussion of the methodology is given here:
* [http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~jackh/eod/design/design-81.html#pgfId-869141] .
* [http://web.mit.edu/mitpep/pi/courses/axiomatic_design.html Axiomatic Design for Complex Systems] a professional short course offered at MIT
Past conference proceedings can be downloaded here:
* [http://www.axiomaticdesign.com/technology/cat25.asp ICAD2006]
* [http://www.axiomaticdesign.com/technology/cat21.asp ICAD2004]
* [http://www.axiomaticdesign.com/technology/cat23.asp ICAD2002]
* [http://www.axiomaticdesign.com/technology/cat22.asp ICAD2000]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.