name = Aracaris
image_width = 220px
Pale-mandibled Aracari"Pteroglossus erythropygius"
genus = "Pteroglossus"
genus_authority = Illiger, 1811
subdivision_ranks = Species
subdivision = 14 (incl. the
Saffron Toucanet), see text.
The aracaris (sometimes araçaris) are medium-sized
toucans in the genus "Pteroglossus". They are brightly plumaged and with enormous colourful bills.
All the species are basically fruit-eating, but will take insects and other small prey. They are
arborealand nest in tree holes laying 2–4 white eggs. They are resident breeders and do not migrate.
The aracaris are unusual for toucans in that they roost socially throughout the year, up to six adults and fledged young sleeping in the same hole with tails folded over their backs.
ischnoceran louse" Austrophilopterus flavirostris" is suspected to parasitizemost if not all species of aracaris, with the possible exception of the Green Aracari(Price & Weckstein 2005).
One species, the distinctive
Saffron Toucanet, was formerly placed in the monotypic genus"Baillonius", but Kimura "et al." (2004) was able to show that it belongs in the genus " Pteroglossus" [cite web | title = South American Classification Committee | work = Merge Baillonius into Pteroglossus | url = http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~remsen/SACCprop151.html | accessdate = 2007-09-16] .
Lettered Aracari, "Pteroglossus inscriptus"
Green Aracari, "Pteroglossus viridis"
Red-necked Aracari, "Pteroglossus bitorquatus"
Ivory-billed Aracari, "Pteroglossus azara"
Brown-mandibled Aracari, "Pteroglossus mariae"
Chestnut-eared Aracari, "Pteroglossus castanotis"
Black-necked Aracari, "Pteroglossus aracari"
Collared Aracari, "Pteroglossus torquatus"
Fiery-billed Aracari, "Pteroglossus frantzii"
Stripe-billed Aracari, "Pteroglossus sanguineus"
Pale-mandibled Aracari, "Pteroglossus erythropygius"
Many-banded Aracari, "Pteroglossus pluricinctus"
Curl-crested Aracari, "Pteroglossus beauharnaesii"
Saffron Toucanet, "Pteroglossus bailloni"
* BirdLife International 2004. [http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/2464/all "Pteroglossus bailloni"] . [http://www.iucnredlist.org 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. ] Downloaded on 27 July 2007.
* Price, Roger D. & Weckstein, Jason D. (2005): The genus "Austrophilopterus" Ewing (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae) from toucans, toucanets, and araçaris (Piciformes: Ramphastidae). "
Zootaxa" 918: 1-18. [http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2005f/z00918f.pdf PDF fulltext]
* [http://www.emeraldforestbirds.com/EmeraldGallery.htm Extensive Gallery on Toucans]
* [http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/fam/fam102.html List of Toucans]
* [http://ibc.hbw.com/ibc/phtml/familia.phtml?idFamilia=101 Toucan videos] on the Internet Bird Collection
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.