- List of Prime Ministers of Denmark
Infobox Political post
post = Prime Minister
body = Denmark
insignia = COA of Denmark.svg
Coat of arms of Denmark
Anders Fogh Rasmussen
27 November 2001
Constitution of Denmark
22 March 1848This is a list over the heads of government in Denmarksince 1848. The constitutional monarchy was introduced in 1849.
The Danish Monarch is the
head of state. Each head of governmenthas been the leader of one or more cabinets (for the complete list, see Cabinet of Denmark).
The office of Prime Minister is described on
Prime Minister of Denmark. Denmark's current Prime Minister is Anders Fogh Rasmussenrepresenting the Liberal party "Venstre". Anders Fogh Rasmussen took office in 2001.
Name of the office
From approximately 1699 to 1730, the highest ranking non-monarchial government official was titled the "Grand Chancellor". From 1730 to the enactment of Denmark's constitutional monarchy in 1848, this office was titled "Minister of State" of Denmark. From 1848 to 1855, starting with
Adam Wilhelm Moltke, Denmark's head of government officially had the title of "Prime Minister" ("Premierminister"). From 1855 to 1918 the title was "Council President" ("Konseilspræsident"). Since April 21 1918, the title has officially been "State Minister" ("Statsminister"). Internationally, the position is however referred to as " Prime Minister". This includes the English version of the PM's webpage. In this list, the English title is used.
List of Grand Chancellors (1699-1730)
List of Council Presidents (1856-1918)
List of Ministers of State (1918-present)
Politics of Denmark, History of Denmark
List of Danish monarchs, Lists of incumbents
*Prime Minister of Norway,
Prime Minister of Sweden, Prime Minister of Finland
* [http://www.stm.dk/Index/mainstart.asp?o=4&n=1&s=1 List of Danish heads of government from the Prime Ministers Office]
* [http://www.um.dk/Publikationer/UM/English/Denmark/kap6/6-21.asp A similar list from the Danish Foreign Ministry, including the PM's party tag]
* [http://thomasthorsen.dk/pol/pm.php Lists of Danish governments since 1848]
* [http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Denmark.html World Statesmen: Denmark] (lists all Danish ruling monarchs from 899 on, and non-monarchial heads of government from 1699 on).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.