- Get Ed
show_name = Get Ed
runtime = 30 min
starring = Donald Hayes
Lyon Smith Peter Cugno Jennifer Dale Tony Daniels Megan Fahlenbock
July 11, 2005
April 24, 2006
num_episodes = 26
Get Ed is a
computer animatedtelevision series which debuted in the year 2005 and as of 2007is airing as part of the Jetixprogramming block on the United States cable televisionnetwork Toon Disneyand also used to run on the ABC Familychannel before they switched over to a non-animated format. It was Jetix's second original show.
In the series, Ed is an 'electro-genetically' enhanced teen who works for Dojo Delivery, a
courierservice, in the futuristic Progress City. Ed uses his cyber sleuthing skills to thwart identity theftand other information-based crimes. He and his courier pals Burn, Deets, Loogie (accompanied by his puppet Dr. Pinch), and Fizz, along with their friend and mentor Ol’ Skool, must battle the ultimate evil – Bedlam, an industrialist who has taken over a significant portion of Progress City, by means of stealing from, datamining, or outright destroying his competitors.
Ed- is the main character and protagonist in the show. He's a
genetically engineeredteen in a blue costume, made from the instructions of an ancient alien artifact found by Ol' Skool. As Ed tries to uncover his origins, he also works on the Dojo crew as a delivery boy. On top of delivering packages and figuring out his identity, Ed's side job is fighting evil. He has many 'toys' whose technology is far beyond our own, thought to be gifts from aliens for his use. He rides a hoverboard co-piloted by Torch, an AI represented as a little floating fireball hologram with a face. Ed can be a little dense and gullible sometimes, but sometimes he gets "flashes" of future events that help him and his friends. If it wasn't for his friends, Ed could have accidentally destroyed the world. Ed has a crush on Deets, and the feeling appears to be mutual.
Burn- is the warrior, the tough guy, the couragous muscle (as well as unofficial leader) of the Dojo. He takes pride in being the best of the Dojo group, however, with the arrival of Ed he's felt his role in the group is challenged. Because of this, he's hard on Ed every chance he gets. He rides a bike that is like a motorcycle but with only one flaming wheel. Burn wears a black costume with orange flames. He also hates a lot of other courier teams.
Fizz- while being the smallest member of the Dojo team, she's in no way unhelpful. She's the brains of the group, being most handy when it comes to technology, planning, and building new equipment for the Dojo. Her quick thinking saves the crew constantly. Her vehicle is a flying scooter, and wears a purple costume.
Deets- is the feminine touch of the Dojo. Fashion crazy, and constantly worried about her nails, however she'll kick butt if she needs to. She once worked for Bedlam because he captured her parents, then Ol' Skool helped her change and save her parents. She flies with a jet glider pack, and wears a pink costume. Her real name is Sarah. Deets has a crush on Ed, although this becomes apparent only in later episodes and because she kisses Ed.
Loogie- if he was a card in a deck, he'd be the joker. He's weird, smelly, gross, and sports an imaginary friend, a catfish puppet named Dr. Pinch he wears on his left hand with a bizarre, alter-personality that constantly criticizes himself (in other words, Loogie suffers from
disassociative identity disorder— too many carnival rides left him loopy). Loogie sports rocket powered in-line skates, and wears a turquoise costume.
Ol' Skool- is the older, knowledgeable yet cool head of the Dojo, wise in the ways of delivery, among other things. Hence he is only known as Ol' Skool by his friends. He built Ed from an artifact he found in a warehouse and constantly says he knows more about Ed than he does. In appearance he's like a
skateboarderwith shades and dreadsfor hair and even in his beard. He even uses a skateboard- making him the only one who rides a vehicle that isn't technologically advanced. His real name is Anthony and he use to work with Bedlam but Bedlam betrayed him.
Bedlam- is a gluttinous, greedy bureaucrat who's bent on taken over control of all of Progress City and continue to seek information he desires. His interests however, have recently completely been focused on Ed and wants to know his connection to certain alien artifacts. He's collecting certain items, trying to make his own Ed like Ol'Skool did. He and Ol'Skool were once business partners until Bedlam cheated him and took the business all for himself, leaving Ol'Skool with nothing. Ol' Skool however went off on his own to start the Dojo.
Kora- is Bedlam's personal
Artificial Intelligenceconstruct. She exists within the computer of Bedlam's lair, as his personal digital slave, and only appears as an orange hologramof a female's upper torso. She's cunning, and brilliant to boot, sometimes making better schemes than Bedlam himself comes up with. But that doesn't mean Bedlam treats her any better than he does his other servants.
Crouch- is one of Bedlam's more frequently seen slave robots, with the head of a toaster. Not very well built, he's also not a very bright robot, constantly acting immature and fears Bedlam's wrath above all else. Because of his incompetence, he is met with the wrath and mocking of Bedlam very often. After being asked by Kora as to why he keeps him around, Bedlam later states, "I need the toast". He has a girlfriend named "Crumbelina". DJ Dive- A radio host that knows everything going on in the city, even broadcasting Bedlam's moves. Like Ol' Skool, DJ Dive seems to know more about Ed than Ed. She knows more than a radio host should know.
Objects of incredible power. All of them are alive and connected to Ed's DNA. They won't let themselves be used by anybody else but Ed. Ed possesses most of these items but some of them are in possession of Bedlam.
They are also known as power objects, artifacts and toys.
1. Slammer- A foot and half long rod that separates on both ends to expose a thin glowing beam. A bit like a lightsaber but more adaptable. It cuts like a sword but can also be flexible like a flail. -Ed
2. Neo-dermis- Armor that starts in a box but comes out to hover around Ed's body. It protects him and makes him stronger. Unfortantely Bedlam finds a way to control it remotely and steals it. -Bedlam
3. Optigogs- Various enhanced vision modes. Use is signified by metal bits below the eyes appearing and eyes changing appearance. Allows Ed to see things that other people can't. -Ed
4. The Link -The gateway to the machine. (Located under Progress City somewhere in Sector Nine) Ed is somehow connected to it -Ed
5. The map and locator key- The map to all of the Ed items and is able to unlock its secrets. He used it to find the Optigogs, but Spyker took it -Bedlam
6. Mystery Piece - Given to Ed by Dr. Hong at the end of "GrimTech". Said to be "one part of a greater whole". Has yet to be used. -Ed
7. Phase Belt- A belt worn around the waist that allows an individual to become virtually invisible. It was found by Dirk Cheap on a package run in Sector Nine. It worked for him, giving him the edge he needed to become a A-class courier, but with limited effectiveness. It often failed to activate at random moments. When Ed touched it he had vision of the other Ed items and the belt moved to him. It worked perfectly on him but he chose to give it back to Dirk on the condition that it would be returned if Ed needed it. -Dirk Cheap
8. Plasma Boost- Located by Bedlam in Sector Nine, but recovered from him by Ed under threat of harm to Deets. Provides the user with plasma burst of energy and allows Ed to fly. -Ed
*Get Ed was originally to be titled "Ed X", but this title was dropped to avoid legal issues with FedEx.
*The episode Optigogs makes use of the archive of "extra" characters. Every character in the background of the bazaar is named after one of the show's artists.
*In Static (part one) Loogie states, "We can rebuild him, I have the technology!" This line is a reference to the classic TV series,
The Six Million Dollar Man.
*Ol' Skool's name is actually Anthony, revealed in the episode Static (part two). Interestingly, Ol' Skool's voice actor has nearly the same first name, Tony Rosato.
*Bedlam in word-terms, is a synonym for
*Kora is very, very similar to
Cortanafrom Halo. Their names are the same, minus a syllable, both are AI constructs, and both are feminine with spunky personality traits.
*The radio DJ, DJ Dive, who narrates each episode is an
allusionto the radio DJ in the 1979 cult film, The Warriors
*Get Ed is the first Disney animated television series to be conceived, developed and executed entirely off site, at
Red Rover Studios.
*Crouch wears a different tie every episode.
*Get Ed is the first animated television show to make use of the
*One of Dojo's main competitors, DNA, is employed by clones that splat like jelly when they go under impact.
*At one point, while in a virtual world made by Bedlam, Bedlam says to Ed, "I control the horizontal and the vertical", which is a direct reference to the opening of "
The Outer Limits".
*The board and bike that Ed and Burn use are similar in design and way of use to
Extreme Gear, which appeared in the 2006 video game Sonic Riders.
*Ed's appearance looks similar to the popular video game character,
Mega Man (character).
* [http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=+%22get+ed%22+genre%3AANIMATION&so=0&num=30 Get Ed Videos]
* [http://tv.disney.go.com/jetix/geted/index.html Official site]
* [http://www.jetix.co.uk/homepage/redirect/0,4057,16339,00.html UK Get Ed site]
* [http://www.tv.com/get-ed/show/44122/summary.html Get Ed on TV.com]
* [http://www.geted.nl.tt NL Get Ed site]
* [http://imdb.com/title/tt0756486/ Get Ed at IMDB]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.