- Riva del Garda
img_coa = Riva del Garda-Stemma.png
official_name = Comune di Riva del Garda
province = Trento (TN)
elevation_m = 70
area_total_km2 = 42
population_total = 15246
timezone = CET, UTC+1
coordinates = coord|45|53|N|10|51|E|region:IT_type:city(15170)
frazioni = Campi, Pregasina, Rifugio Capanna Grassi, Rifugio Nino Pernici, San Nazzaro, Sant'Alessandro, Varone
telephone = 0464
postalcode = 38066
gentilic = Rivani
saint = Santa Maria Assunta
website = [http://www.comune.rivadelgarda.tn.it www.comune.rivadelgarda.tn.it]
Riva del Garda ( _de. Reiff) is a town of 15,246 inhabitants in the
province of Trento(Italy).
Riva del Garda is located at the north-western corner of
Lake Gardaalso called Benàco (70 m above sea level). Mount Rocchetta(1,575 m) rises steeply to the west, with Mount Baldo(2,218 m) to the east. This location makes Riva del Garda one of the most spectacular spots around Lake Garda.
Average winters are moderately cold, sunny and with some snow; summers are warm but rarely hot or sultry, with windy afternoons and scattered PM-night thunderstorms.
Tourismis the most important activity of the town, however the town is also home to industrial activities such as paper manufacturing.
Riva del Garda belonged to the republic of
Veniceand later to the Austro-Hungarian empire until 1918. Since 1918 Riva del Garda has been a part of Italy.
The Museo Civico is located in the Rocca, a medieval fortress placed on the lake, bounded by a canal with lifting bridge. It is frequently the seat of cultural activities, especially during the summer months.
Notable is the
Tenno Lake(6 km northward), the Ledro Lake(5 km westwards) with its paleoethnographic museum and the Varone falls (3 km northwards) of great geological interest.
With its two harbours Riva del Garda is well equipped for sailing and windsurfing. Rock climbing is also practised.
Basketball is also very popular and probably the main sport of the town: the local top team, the
GS RivaGardacartiere, plays in the Italy's 3rd national division and for the "big games" the PalaGarda arena is packed with 1000 to 2000 people.
The town has got also a team,
Virtus Riva, in the "C1" division.
*it icon [http://www.comune.rivadelgarda.tn.it Homepage of the city]
* [http://www.toskana-appartement.de/wetter/gardasee_webcams.html Live Webcam on the road to Limone with sight to Torbole]
* [http://www.toskana-appartement.de/wetter/wetterstation_gardasee.html Live Weather station on the road to Limone]
* [http://www.varonecam.co.nr Live Weather station and Webcam from NW Riva del Garda]
* [http://www.gardameteo.com Local weather portal for Riva and the Gardalake]
* [http://www.webalice.it/matthew80/report/nevegennaio2006.htm Photos of Riva del Garda during the snowstorm of late january 2006]
* [http://www.geopanorama.de/gpearth/rivapiazza.htm Interactive 360° panorama of Riva ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.