- Accessory breast
Accessory breast Classification and external resources ICD-10 Q83.1 ICD-9 757.6 OMIM 163700 eMedicine derm/735
A related condition, in which extra nipples form, is called "supernumerary nipple" or "polythelia".
In some cases, the accessory breast may not be visible at the surface. In these cases, it may be possible to distinguish their appearance from normal breast tissue with MRI. In other cases, accessory breasts have been known to lactate, as illustrated in a woodcut showing a child nursing at ectopic breast tissue on the lateral thigh.
Some recent science fiction and comedy films have featured minor female characters with one or more additional breasts: The Warrior and the Sorcerer, starring David Carradine (four breasts); Total Recall, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (three breasts); Star Trek V, starring William Shatner (three breasts); Earth Girls Are Easy, starring Geena Davis (four breasts); Firecracker, starring Karen Black (three breasts); Flesh Gordon 2, starring Vince Mordocco (more than four breasts, but just on a sign); Good Luck, Chuck, starring [] (three breasts); Dumb and Dumberer (three breasts); Silence of the Hams, starring Dom DeLuise (three breasts); and Necropolis, starring LeeAnne Baker (six breasts).
- ^ Laor T, Collins MH, Emery KH, Donnelly LF, Bove KE, Ballard ET (2004). "MRI appearance of accessory breast tissue: a diagnostic consideration for an axillary mass in a peripubertal or pubertal girl". AJR Am J Roentgenol 183 (6): 1779–81. PMID 15547228.
- ^ "Supernumerary Breast Tissue". Southern Medical Journal. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410464_3. Retrieved Dec. 30, 2008.
- ^ Emsen IM (2006). "Treatment with ultrasound-assisted liposuction of accessory axillary breast tissues". Aesthetic Plast Surg 30 (2): 251–2. doi:10.1007/s00266-005-0160-7. PMID 16547633.
- Cases of suckling from extra breasts
- Old woodcut of extra breast in use
- Freak show photo; used as cover for book Freak Babylon by Jack Hunter
Congenital malformations and deformations of the breast (Q83, 757.6) Breast NippleAthelia · Polythelia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.