- Outline of information technology
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to information technology:
Information technology (IT) – defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as "the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware." IT deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and retrieve information.
There are different names for this[clarification needed] at different periods or through fields. Some of these names are:
- ICT:- Information and communication technologies;
- IT:- Information technology;
- DCT:- Data Communication & technology;
- CDT:- Creative digital technology;
- DT:- Design & technology;
- IDCT:- Department of information & software technology;
- Infocomm:- Communication technology;
- TelCo (phones) & CompBusiness (HW+SW) & development (SW):- sets of professions as referenced within Human Resources departments;
- BCA [Bachelor of Computer Applications] ;
and many more...
Branches of information technology
- Computer Science
- Information Technology – refers to the application of computer science, that is, its use by mankind
- Information and Communications
- Computer engineering (see also Outline of computer engineering)
History of information technology
- Main article: History of information technology
Leaders in information technology
- Information technology scholars
- Information technology companies
Certification in information technology
- Information technology scholars
- Information technology companies
- Samkit Maniar
- Apple Inc. – sponsors the Apple certification program
- Avaya – sponsors the Avaya Professional Credential Program
- Cisco Systems – sponsors the Cisco Career Certifications program
- Citrix Systems – sponsors the Citrix Certified Administrator program
- Hewlett-Packard – sponsors the HP-CP certifications related to HP Technologies
- Dell – sponsors the Dell Certified Systems Expert program with Associate and Master levels
- Huawei – sponsors certifications
- IBM – sponsors certifications
- Juniper Networks – sponsors the Juniper Networks Technical Certification Program
- LANDesk – sponsors the Certified LANDesk Administrator and Certified LANDesk Engineer program
- Microsoft Corporation – sponsors the Microsoft Certified Professional program
- MySQL (as part of Sun Microsystems now) – sponsors a certification program
- Nortel – sponsors the Nortel Certifications program
- Novell – sponsors a certification program
- Object Management Group – sponsors the Certified Professional program for the Unified Modeling Language
- Oracle Corporation – sponsors the Oracle Certification Program
- Red Hat – sponsors the Red Hat Certification Program
- SAP – sponsors individual training and certifications
- SolarWinds – sponsors the SolarWinds Certified Professional Program for network management 
- Sun Microsystems – sponsors the Sun Certified Professional program
- Sybase – sponsors the Certified Sybase Professional program
- Ubuntu – provides Ubuntu Certified Professional program
- VMware – sponsors certification programs (VCP & VCDX)
- Zend Technologies – sponsors the Zend Certified Engineer program
Third-party and vendor-neutral certifications
Third-party commercial organizations and vendor neutral interest groups that sponsor certifications include:
- The BSD Certification Group Inc. – a non-profit organization committed to creating and maintaining a global certification standard for system administration on BSD based operating systems.
- INFINIDOX – sponsors 12 professional information security certifications.
- Basic Computer Literacy Certification
- XML Certification Program - XML Master
- Certiport – sponsors the Microsoft Office Specialist and IC3 certification (Internet and Computing Core).
- CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) – offers 12 professional IT Certifications, validating foundation-level IT knowledge and skills.
- European Computer Driving License-Foundation – sponsors the European Computer Driving License (also called International Computer Driving License) (ICDL)
- International Information and Communication Technology Council Certification Program
- ISC2 – sponsors the CISSP, SSCP and other security certifications
- Linux Professional Institute
- Majinate – sponsors the Accredited Symbian Developer scheme for Symbian OS
- NACSE (National Association of Communication Systems Engineers) sponsors 36 Vendor Neutral, knowledge specific, Certifications covering the 5 major IT Disciplines which are: Data Networking, Telecomm, Web Design & Development, Programming & Business Skills for IT Professionals.
- The Open Group – sponsors TOGAF certification and the IT Architect Certification (ITAC)  and IT Specialist Certification (ITSC)  skills and experience based IT certifications.
- Planet3 Wireless – sponsors the Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA) certification 
- Prosoft Learning Corporation – offers CIW, CCNT, CTP, AssessPrep certification tracks. Prosoft Learning
- SAGE (organization) – sponsors the cSAGE program
- SANS Institute – operates the Global Information Assurance Certification program
- Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) – sponsors the SNIA Certification Program 
General certification of software practitioners has struggled. The ACM had a professional certification program in the early 1980s, which was discontinued due to lack of interest. Today, the IEEE is certifying software professionals, but only about 500 people have passed the exam by March 2005[update].
- The IEEE Computer Society – sponsors the Certified Software Development Professional as well as membership designations, "Senior" and "Fellow" which reflect experience and peer review qualification.
- The IET – sponsors the Chartered Engineer and Incorporated Engineer, which can be ratified into the European Engineer
- The BCS – sponsors the Chartered IT Professional (CITP) programme.
- The Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals sponsors the Certified Computing Professional (CCP) and Associate Computing Professional (ACP) certifications
- The BDPA IT Institute – sponsors the BDPA IT Associate (BITA), the BDPA IT Professional (BITP), and the BDPA IT Master (BITM) certifications
- The Canadian Information Processing Society – sponsors the Information Systems Professional certification in Canada.
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants – sponsors the Certified Information Technology Professional program.
- APICS – establishes operations management standards and sponsors certification for Logistics
- British Computer Society
- National Software Testing Laboratories
- American Society for Quality#Certifications
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ By Shamus McGuillicuddy, SearchNetworking.com."SolarWinds offers network management training and certification." June 24, 2009. Retrieved August 20, 2009.
OutlinesGeneral reference · Culture and the arts · Geography and places · Health and fitness · History and events · Mathematics and logic · Natural and physical sciences · People and self · Philosophy and thinking · Religion and belief systems · Society and social sciences · Technology and applied sciences
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.