- Dr. H. Huber Block
Dr. H. Huber BlockFront and side of the block
Location: Main St. and Taft Ave., Ottawa, Ohio Coordinates: 41°1′9″N 84°2′54″W / 41.01917°N 84.04833°WCoordinates: 41°1′9″N 84°2′54″W / 41.01917°N 84.04833°W Area: less than one acre Built: 1882 Architectural style: Italianate Governing body: Private NRHP Reference#: 80003213 Added to NRHP: June 4, 1980
The Dr. H. Huber Block is a historic commercial building in downtown Ottawa, Ohio, United States. Built in 1882, it was erected for Dr. Hubert Huber, a native of Germany who immigrated to the nearby village of Glandorf in 1853. This Italianate three-story brick building is typical of many commercial buildings constructed in villages such as Ottawa in the late nineteenth century: as prosperity increased, building owners sought to rebuild their structures in the style of those in large cities. Besides maintaining a medical practice in the building, Huber also operated a pharmacy on the first story that continued in operation long after his death; the second floor consisted of residential apartments that he rented out to others, and the third floor was used for nearly a century as a meeting place for the local Knights of Columbus lodge.
In 1980, the Huber Block was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It qualified for inclusion because of its well-preserved historic architecture, which was seen as significant in the local community.
- ^ a b c "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ Owen, Lorrie K., ed. Dictionary of Ohio Historic Places. Vol. 2. St. Clair Shores: Somerset, 1999, 1181.
- ^ Huber, Dr. H., Block, Ohio Historical Society, 2007. Accessed 2010-07-09.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other Category:National Register of Historic Places • Portal:National Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places in Putnam County, Ohio Historic district
Gilboa Main Street Historic District
Bridenbaugh District No. 3 Schoolhouse | Columbus Grove Municipal Pool | John Edwards House | Dr. H. Huber Block | Leipsic City Hall | Ottawa Waterworks Building | Putnam County Courthouse | Round Barn | St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church
See also: National Register of Historic Places listings in Putnam County, Ohio and List of National Historic Landmarks in OhioCategories:
- Buildings and structures completed in 1882
- Italianate architecture in Ohio
- Commercial buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Ohio
- Buildings and structures in Putnam County, Ohio
- Knights of Columbus buildings in the United States
- Defunct pharmacies of the United States
- Apartment buildings in the United States
- Clubhouses in Ohio
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.