- Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon
Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon URL http://capl.washjeff.edu/ Type of site academic Registration no Available language(s) German
Content license CC-BY-NC Owner Washington & Jefferson College Created by Michael R. Shaughnessy Launched 2003 Current status active
The Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon is a dictionary database of images of various objects in a culturally authentic setting for language learning. All images are presented with a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial license, allowing for broad academic use by language teachers. The database is also useful for researchers in the field of applied linguistics, visual cognition, and automated image recognition. The database averages 30,000 hits per month and has been incorporated into the curricula of many college and high-school level German teachers.
The idea for the lexicon is partially based on Shaughnessy's experience with teaching materials that used American-based images and clip art to demonstrate German words and concepts. By presenting objects in their culturally authentic context, the CAPL is designed to prepare students to live in the environment where the language is spoken. The photographic entries are real photographs, not clip art, to force teachers to "teach terms for things that actually occur in everyday German life – instead of American concepts that have no direct European equivalent."
The project was founded in 2003 as a pilot project with over 1,000 unique entries for the German language. The first images were collected by Shaughnessy in Germany and Austria through a grant from W&J College. In 2008, the project was expanded to include more languages thanks to a $85,480 grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
The CAPL was featured in an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education and has been recommended for use by the Goethe Institute, German Academic Exchange Office and the National Capital Language Resource Center. The book The Bilingual Mental Lexicon noted the Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon's value in German language instruction for "naming and sorting activities, and in awareness-raising discussions."
- ^ a b "About CAPL". Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon. Washington & Jefferson College. http://capl.washjeff.edu/about.php.
- ^ Park, Jane (June 18, 2009). "CAPL, the Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon". creativecommons.org. Creative Commons. http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15353.
- ^ a b c "Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon". Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education Grant Database (United States Department of Education). 06/01/2008. http://fipse.aed.org/grantshow.cfm?grantNumber=P116Z080004.
- ^ a b c d Read, Brock (December 12, 2003). "Professor's Web Site Uses Photographs to Teach the German Language". The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i16/16a03103.htm.
- ^ Pavlenko, Aneta (January 15, 2009). The Bilingual Mental Lexicon. Multilingual Matters. pp. 155. ISBN 978-1847691248. http://books.google.com/books?id=jkcyXAoI9PcC&lpg=PA125&ots=yiMHODCSra&dq=%22culturally%20authentic%20pictorial%20lexicon%22&lr=&pg=PA155.
Washington & Jefferson College
U. Grant Miller Library • Abernathy Field Station • Topic: The Washington & Jefferson College Review
The Presidents • Football (Coaches / Seasons / 1922 Rose Bowl)
Facilities: Brooks Park • Cameron Stadium • Henry Memorial Center • IceoPlex • Ross Memorial Park and Alexandre Stadium
Buildings • McMillan Hall • Old Main • Old Gym • Hays Hall • The Burnett Center • Technology Center • Swanson Science Center
History • Traditions • Jefferson Medical College • Pennsylvania College Cases • John McMillan's Log School
List of buildings • The Burnett Center • Hays Hall • McMillan Hall • Old Gym • Old Main • Swanson Science Center • Technology Center •
Alumni • List of presidents • John McMillan / Thaddeus Dod / Joseph Smith (Founders) • Tori Haring-Smith (President) • Faculty • Trustees
Clubs • Literary societies • Greek letter organizations • Politics • Red & Black • Jefferson Duo • WNJR
Relations with City of Washington • Washington, Pennsylvania • East Washington Historic District • First Presbyterian Church 1793 • Washington Female Seminary
Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon • Jefferson Salamander
Portal • Book • Category • Commons • Wikisource • Wikiquote This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.