Cheek’d is a dating and social networking website based in New York City. It was founded in 2010 by Lori Cheek.
Each Cheek'd card includes a "quip", web address, and online code. To be a part of the cheek'd network you can sign up through the website, purchase cards, and give them out at will. Cheek'd users can set up a profile, and recipients of the cards can look up their secret admirers and proceed as they see fit. “They don't clearly say ‘I want to date you,’” explains Cheek. “But there are alluring sayings on each of them and a few laugh-out-loud lines. I think it's a light and fun alternative to handing your regular card away. There's a bit of mystery behind the whole process..
Subscribers get a set of 50 business cards that can be given out once someone catches their eye. Each card has an interesting phrase like "I am totally cooler than your date." or "feel free to stalk me." and a url to the subscriber's account at the website. Recipients of the cards can then look up the profile of the Cheek'd user with the information provided on the card. The intent of the concept is to expand subscriber's dating opportunities beyond the pool of people registered with an online dating service.
- ^ a b Stephanie Rosenbloom (July 21, 2010). "The New Dating Tools: A Card and a Wink". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/fashion/22date.html?src=me&ref=general. Retrieved 2010-07-23. "Ms. Cheek, an architect who works part-time in sales for a high-end Manhattan furniture company, founded one such venture, Cheek’d, which had its debut in May. Users receive calling cards to dole out to alluring strangers they encounter in their everyday lives, be it in a club or in a subway on their morning commute. ..."
- ^ a b Reso, Paulina (July 23, 2010). "Latest dating trends include Web-based calling cards and GPS-powered apps". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/07/24/2010-07-24_latest_dating_trends_include_webbased_calling_cards_and_gpspowered_apps.html#ixzz0wdT7LZiO. Retrieved 2010-08-15. "Members pay $25 for 50 cards and a month’s subscription. But your catch of the day doesn’t have to pay anything to contact you through the site."
- ^ "Cheek'd and FlipMe! Introduce Dating Cards" - Terra USA
- ^ Jenny Block (August 05, 2010). "Fox on Sex: The Art of Flirting". Fox News. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,598671,00.html?test=faces. Retrieved 2010-o8-14. "A company called Cheek’d has come up with an interesting marriage of old school flirting and newfangled technology. Founder Lori Cheek has created a set of subtle, black, business-sized cards that say things like, “i dare you,” “i can break ice with this little card,” “you never know” and “my dog likes your dog.”"
- ^ "Getting cheeky" - Honolulu Weekly
- ^ "Business cards for love" - Zeit Online
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.