- Software configuration management
software engineering, software configuration management (SCM) is the task of tracking and controlling changes in the software. Configuration management practices include revision controland the establishment of baselines.
SCM concerns itself with answering the question "Somebody did something, how can one reproduce it?" Often the problem involves not reproducing "it" identically, but with controlled, incremental changes. Answering the question thus becomes a matter of comparing different results and of analysing their differences. Traditional configuration management typically focused on controlled creation of relatively simple products. Now, implementers of SCM face the challenge of dealing with relatively minor increments under their own control, in the context of the complex system being developed.
The history and terminology of SCM (which often varies) has given rise to controversy.
Roger Pressman, in his book "Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach", states that SCM is a "set of activities designed to control change by identifying the work products that are likely to change, establishing relationships among them, defining mechanisms for managing different versions of these work products, controlling the changes imposed, and auditing and reporting on the changes made." Source configuration managementis a related practise often used to indicate that a variety of artifacts may be managed and versioned, including software code, documents, design models, and even the directory structure itself.
Rational Software, now a part of IBM), used "SCM" to mean "software configuration management". Gartner uses the term "software change and configuration management".
The goals of SCM are generally:Fact|date=March 2008
*Configuration identification - What code are we working with?
*Configuration control - Controlling the release of a product and its changes.
*Status accounting - Recording and reporting the status of components.
*Review - Ensuring completeness and consistency among components.
Build management- Managing the process and tools used for builds.
*Process management - Ensuring adherence to the organization's development process.
*Environment management - Managing the software and hardware that host our system.
*Teamwork - Facilitate team interactions related to the process.
*Defect tracking - Making sure every defect has traceability back to the source
Application Lifecycle Management
Business Technology Optimization
Comparison of revision control software
List of revision control software
* Babich, W.A. (1986). "Software Configuration Management, Coordination for Team Productivity". 1st edition. Boston: Addison-Wesley
*Berczuk, Appleton; (2003). "Software Configuration Management Patterns: Effective TeamWork, Practical Integration" (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-74117-2.
* Bersoff, E.H. (1997). Elements of Software Configuration Management. "IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA," 1-32
* Dennis, A., Wixom, B.H. & Tegarden, D. (2002). "System Analysis & Design: An Object-Oriented Approach with UML." Hoboken, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
* Department of Defense, USA (2001). "Military Handbook: Configuration management guidance (rev. A) (MIL-HDBK-61A)". Retrieved February 18, 2006, from http://www.combatindex.com/mil_docs/html/hdbk/0100/MIL-HDBK-61.html
* Futrell, R.T. "et al." (2002). "Quality Software Project Management." 1st edition. Prentice-Hall.
* International Organization for Standardization (2003). "ISO 10007: Quality management systems – Guidelines for configuration management (preview)". Retrieved February 18, 2006, from http://www.standards.com.au/PDFTEMP/Previews/OSH/iso/updates2003/07/ISO_10007;2003(E)-Character.pdf
* Saeki M. (2003). Embedding Metrics into Information Systems Development Methods: An Application of Method Engineering Technique. "CAiSE 2003," 374-389.
* Scott, J.A. & Nisse, D. (2001). Software configuration management. In: "Guide to Software Engineering Body of Knowledge". Retrieved February 15, 2006, from http://www.swebok.org/stoneman/version_1.00/SWEBOK_w_correct_copyright_web_site_version.pdf
* [http://www.ssqc.com/do25v6new.pdf Software Configuration Management and ISO 9001 by SSQC]
* [http://www.cmwiki.com/ CmWiki] , Configuration Management Wiki - A wiki web dedicated to Configuration Management
* [http://www.cmcrossroads.com/ CM Crossroads] , online community and resource center for configuration management
* [http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id=40 Use Cases and Implementing Application Lifecycle Management ]
* [http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id=12 Parallel Development Strategies for Software Configuration Management]
* [http://www.cmresourceguide.com/ CMBank] , a professional base bank
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.