- Koro Island
Koro is a volcanic island of
Fijithat forms part of the Lomaivitiarchipelago. The Koro Seais named after this volcanic island, which has a chain of basaltic cinder cones extending from north to south along its crest. With a land area of 108.9 square kilometers, it is the sixth largest island of Fiji. Its latitudeis 17.18°; its longitudeis 179.24°. Its population in 1960was around 2500. As of 2007 around 4500 Fijians lived on the island, in 14 villages. A roll-on, roll-off ferry services Koro twice weekly from Suva, and also connects Koro to Vanua Levu to the North. Air Fiji provides one scheduled flight per week to Koro, usually on Wednesday from Suva.
The island has an airport, situated on its eastern coast. On its northwestern tip is situated the
Dere Bay Resortand the Koro Beach Resort. A residential subdivision, Koro Seaview Estates, was established around Dere Bay Resort in 1989 and about 50 homes have ben established in the development as of 2008. Forestry and timber logging are the major economic activities.
List of volcanoes in Fiji
* [http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0405-02- Global Volcanism Program: Koro]
* [http://www.koroisland.org - Information about Koro Island and Owners community of Koro Seaview Estates]
* [http://www.koroonline.com - Information on Travel to and Living on Koro and the Koro Beach Resort]
* [http://www.koroisland.com - Information on Real Estate on Koro Island]
* [http://www.derebayresort.com - Information on Accommodation on Koro Island]
* [http://www.korobeachresort.com - Information on Accommodation on Koro Island]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.