- Director General of MI5
The Director General of the Security Service is the head of the Security Service (commonly known as MI5), the United Kingdom's internal counter-intelligence and security agency. The Director-General is assisted by a Deputy Director-General and an Assistant Director-General, and reports to the Home Secretary, although the Security Service is not formally part of the Home Office.
The present Director General is Jonathan Evans, who has held the role since April 2007.
List of Directors General
- Maj Gen Sir Vernon Kell, 1909–1940
- Brigadier 'Jasper' Harker, Acting June 1940–April 1941
- Sir David Petrie, 1941–1946
- Sir Percy Sillitoe, 1946–1953
- Sir Dick White, 1953–1956
- Sir Roger Hollis, 1956–1965
- Sir Martin Furnival Jones, 1965–1972
- Sir Michael Hanley, 1972–1979
- Sir Howard Smith, 1979–1981
- Sir John Jones, 1981–1985
- Sir Antony Duff, 1985–1988
- Sir Patrick Walker, 1988–1991
- Dame Stella Rimington, 1992–1996
- Sir Stephen Lander, 1996–2002
- Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, October 2002–20 April 2007
- Jonathan Evans, 20 April 2007–present
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.